Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Day 7 of 30, in which I show my studios in all their glory

Back when I was married and doing a lot of fiber art, my husband called the room where I created my "studio". I went along with that term, because "giant closet full of fabric, fiber, sewing machines, looms and UFOs" was a bit wordy. (UFO = UnFinished Objects)
When I first started painting, in February 2012, I was staying in a corporate apartment and had to figure out where I could safely paint, so I never really used the term "studio". But today when I was collecting pictures of places where I set up paints and canvas, I started seeing a trend or two.

Below are two pictures of my first studio....in the dining room right next to the kitchen. I had set up some incense, a candle, an inspirational picture and a few objects that made sense at the time. The dining room table is covered with stuff for my first soul collage frenzy.

I wish I had a picture of the wonderful open studio provided by the Mercy Hospital in Bakersfield, but here is a picture of a couple of things displayed and behind them, you can see a comfy chair. 



That was a little area with a few more comfy chairs and where we set our Source Cards and a lit candle on the coffee table when we had a soul collage group. I really really really miss that and will create something like that when I become certified sometime in the next 2 years. 
Mercy Hospital called it the Art for Healing Center and that's when I discovered the magic of NONverbal processing. 
Verbal is not a problem for me as many people will tell you who have waited for their turn to speak. Let me repeat instructions here....you HAVE to interrupt. I'm Greek and only slow down and talk more quietly....I don't actually stop....but its your turn when I slow down. 
I'm talking to YOU, Minnesota!! 
(dang polite Scandihoovians....)

After moving back to Minnesota when that California contract was over, I set up a studio again right next to the kitchen! You can see it in the background and it's unnaturally neat in this picture. Do not be fooled! 

  Below is my pair of chairs full o'paints and a precariously balanced pallete on the back of a comfy chair. Miraculously, I didn't spill or drip on that carpet! (we won't mention the cats' decoration that cost me a bit of non-spare change when I moved out)
 The next picture is that same studio with the two giant canvases for the diptych I'm bravely soldiering away on...er...I mean dancing with. (I'm trying to replace sports and war terminology) These darn canvases are as tall as I am and are sitting on a yoga mat in case I dripped. Here is where I learned that I do not like painting on giant canvases.

                                 I do not like to paint with jam, I do not like it Sam-I-Am
  Now I'm in a new apartment with lots of north facing windows and I can keep the shades up since I live higher than any buildings around me. See my easel all set up and my inspirational doll watching me paint. This studio looks all neat and spare, doesn't it? Ha ha ha ha ha ha.
The magic of cropping....
Another view of my studio...which is right next to the kitchen again and in the space designated "dining room" in the floor plan. My art journal is propped up for the photo on top of the surface I used as a stand-up desk....my loom! Wonder if I'll ever weave again? It's a perfect stand-up table for art journaling.


And here is the Most Awesome Wells Fargo desk I found in San Francisco and moved across the country. Isn't it perfect for organizing paints and brushes? Do you think it stayed that way for long? 

Oh
It
Is 
to
LAUGH!





Here's my Most Awesome Mess






and another Art Chair O'Paints and markers





A tasteful pile of sketchbooks, collage material, paints and if you squint....you can see the SF cup of sacred painting water and the brushes displayed like a bouquet.










My Loom piled high with sketchbooks, source books, pens and my stay wet pallete waiting for more action

And my enormous canvases flanking the door to my kitchen.

Minnesota Public Radio had a piece this morning as I drove home from work that gladdened my heart. A psychologist at one of our many universities designed a study that discovered something that I've always believed:

Tidy rooms encourage following the rules, and messy rooms encourage creativity. 
So
Bless This Mess!

7 comments:

  1. I love seeing the places where you create! What an awesome desk! And oh so many beautiful paintings!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am amused that instead of creating dinner parties, I take up my dining rooms with art making. Food for my soul, eh?

      Delete
  2. You captured the awesomeness of a creative mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I certainly showed the awesomeness of a creative mess, eh?

      Delete
  3. thank you for sharing.

    My studio is a little spot in our dining room ... a well used dining room. It is where we eat, the computers are in here, it is open to the kitchen. Lots of energy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we're on to something here. Dining rooms now are rooms for creativity and need to be near the heart of our home

      Delete
  4. Oh YES YES YES BLESS THE MESS and bring on the CREATIVITY....ye ha!!!

    ReplyDelete