Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Day 28 - Miles to go before I sleep

Ah sweet sleep that knits the ravelled sleeve of care

And in my life this knitting is so rare....


Sorry, Mr Shakes, all I can think of today is sleep. 


And THIS is stuck in my head, so it might as well be stuck in yours



Here's the original sandman from my heritage - Hypnos, the god of dreams. The one who has been too dang busy whilst I've been sleeping lately. I do so love the blanket in this picture, though, says my artsy brain..



Anyone remember this little dude? This was the illustration in my Mother Goose in...um...mid century, though it came from much earlier. I used to be a bit creeped out by Wee Willie Winkie running through the town...upstairs, downstairs, in his nightgown. Tapping at the window, crying through the locks....EEEEK! 


I used to use this as a bedtime ritual for my oldest, though, changing the last line to "Is Mihali in the bed? Cuz now it's 10 o'clock!" (should've been 8, but I picked my battles)


This one I believe my parents used...especially the first 2 lines, in the old language of the poem..."tarry awhile, said Slow" because when it came to bedtime, I was most definitely Slow. Oh not anymore! I wish I had all those lost naptimes and early bedtimes back, dont' you? Nothing to do by play, eat, and go to bed when we're told! 


I can tell winter's coming on because I really want to hibernate. I get quite grumpy 
and groggy when I finally wake up, no matter what time it is. 




                                            WHERE'S MY CAVE???


Better yet, so that the world can't disturb my slumber, where's my protective spell?




Ahhhhhh. That's more like it. Briar Rose, the original sleeping beauty, was protected by a hedge full of thorns. Kind of like the hedgerow I drew for Maeve when I envisioned her retreating from the world. 




But I head off to night shift again, having foolishly agreed to work for someone on my night off, and I know I'll be glad for the extra money, but I'm afraid this is what I'll look like during my break




                                       Goodnight, Day People .              


                           See you and my gorgeous view when the sun rises. 




3 comments:

  1. YES!!! I absolutely wish I had back all those times when I didn't want to go to bed or take a nap! This is absolutely why youth is wasted on the young...nap times...those ungrateful little bastards!!! :) I'm sure I've said it before, but I'm insanely jealous of your gorgeous view...I'm glad you share it, because it really is beautiful! I hope the extra shift is not too bad...just think, extra money for more art supplies...it's what makes me get up and go to work every day... :D <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... everything seems so much better after a good night's sleep ...oh to be one of those who just lie down and pass out .... I just cannot seem to sleep well these days at all.

    Good luck on the night shift Rene - it'll not be long tll morning:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sleep is no longer restful for me. It's tossing and turning and kicking a leg back and forth.
    Hope you are going to get some rest!!

    ReplyDelete