Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Day 20 - Another wandering tale.

I'll start because I promised to blog for 30 days, but I have NO idea where this is going. The germs have won the war I've been fighting for 4 days and it has taken almost everythng out of me. My day has been sleeping, crackers, Dr visit and more sleeping.

This is so BORING!! Except for dreams. I've had a millions dreams in the last 4 days. I wish dreams weren't so fleeting and I wonder why it is that nightmares stick in the mind, but good dreams just float away as soon as my eyes are open. For one thing, that energetic, strong and flexible body that moves so effortlessly through the landscape of my dreams turns into one that aches, with eyes that need glasses to read. Is this why we sleep more the older we get? It's one way we can return to the effortless movements of our youth.

I still tell people I'm a folkdancer, but when is the last time I folkdanced regularly? Years and years ago. In fact, the last time I danced at all was over a year ago at a folkdance camp, and I didn't dance for as many hours as I used to. My body just wouldnt' do it. OH but I love hanging out with folkdancers!

These are MY people! But these are my people in another state and some of them are only in that state during Thanksgiving Camp. I don't know the folkdancers here, though I know the folk DANCES. It's not the same. The last time I folkdanced, I reunited with many many old friends, but mostly Jo.


                                                           In less than a year she was gone.

                           But it feels like just last week that she and I went folkdancing dressed like this!

Now I don't even want to folkdance. At least not at Texas camp. For me, Texas camp was where she and I reunited every year, and this last time was after way too many years. I feel like I wasn't in touch enough and I neglected our friendship. She was one of those friends that I could talk to after long periods and we always picked right up where we left off.

Except now we can't.

Except now, at our age, none of us can let it go for so long. So how often is often enough for old friends? Anyone have an answer?
Once a month, if they're far away?
Once a week if they're nearby?
Is Facebook enough? (I say a resounding NO!)

 Will anyone answer emails anymore? Our e-boxes are so chock full of advertising, it's hard to find letters from friends.  Even when we try to create new ones for friends and family only, the ads and the junk mail find us effortlessly.

So is it time to go back to real letters? I'm finding less and less junk mail in my mailbox, and fewer  bills too, now that they're online. Phone calls are awesome, but they're not possible at 3 in the morning when loneliness most often comes to visit. Let's talk on the phone, yes, but can we try letters again?


As promised, I have bought an address book. I have also bought stationary and cards. Now all I need is stamps, since the ones I have found in my archaeological apartment dig are stuck together and have 37 cents stamped on them and they were printed in 2014.

                       Is that what they cost now? Maybe I'll just put two on my letters, just in case.

Except I don't have enough snail mail addresses. So if you want a letter from me, send my your snail mail address. If my hands won't make a handwritten letter possible, (or readable) I'll type it and print it, but you'll have a physical letter in your hands. And a signature. And it'll come hand addressed and eventually you'll recognize my handwriting if I can keep this up.
I'd love one from YOU too!  Please!

6 comments:

  1. Dawn Howell
    68 Harvest Drive
    Jackson TN 38305

    And you WILL get one back, that would be awesome, I dont get mail anymore either....Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you start to feel better soon Rene - so loving your posts. What's your address? I'm not so good at sending letters, but I do love sending postcards ... we're off to France tomorrow and I'll be in posting mode :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 9702 Sandra Lane

      If you still feel like sending pay cards.

      I hope to restart this blog again soon. I've been afraid to be honest online since the election

      Delete
    2. 9702 Sandra Lane

      If you still feel like sending pay cards.

      I hope to restart this blog again soon. I've been afraid to be honest online since the election

      Delete
  3. I hope you are feeling better. I'm so sorry that you lost your friend.
    ...Raine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Raine. it just hits me now and then that she's really gone. Being stuck at home makes it harder to avoid remembering sad stuff.

      Delete