Monday, August 26, 2013

Day 26- Why I'm watching Felicity and having weird dreams


 During the excitement of orientation,  I forgot how old I am until some young girl on a panel said "Take your time. There's no need to push yourself into a full time course load, or to decide how exactly you're going to use this degree. You have PLENTY of time for that later!"


No, Little Girl Child, I most certainly do NOT have plenty of time for that! I should've done all that time taking if I had gone to college when THIS book was printed


 I did do THIS kind of school in a timely manner and at an appropriate age. And yes, we had to wear caps, but ours were much uglier than these. Hard to believe, eh?


 When looking at college catalogues when I SHOULD have gotten my BA, the pictures of students looked like this, and this is how I pictured myself on the green campuses of my future


 I did do some of that when I went to nursing school and then for more than 4 years getting my BA, which I started in 19-Never-Mind and finished in 19-None-Of-Your-Business, but really it looks more like THIS these days


                              Oh, as IF I could get up gracefully from that position these days!

                                   At least I won't be doing my homework like THIS anymore


So here's the thing. I'm starting college again, and was "accidentally" drawn to watching Felicity reruns the very next day, much to my surprise and embarrassment. But those very first shows were all about the uncertainty and confusion of starting on the Great American Education Adventure and I think I feel a lot like that character did when she first got to college. My hair even curls by itself now, like it didn't so many years ago. But my mind, I fondly hope, has a lot more snap to it than her fuzzy little head after all these years of living on this planet.

I had a nightmare the night after orientation where I was tryin to rescuscitate a baby that I had forgotten was even there. It was almost too late, and I wasn't as sure of what I was doing. At work, doing infant resuscitation is second nature to me, and I never doubt myself while it's going on, but in this dream I was just not sure what the next step was. Even when the dream was over, or actually, when I woke up before it was over, the outcome was unclear. HAD I saved that baby? She would breathe now and then, but wasn't very vigorous in her movements and I wasn't sure if I had stopped too soon or it was just too late to save her.

I know that baby is ME. My new beginning. Is it too late? Will it be just an almost-save that leaves me only half prepared for something there's not much time to get right? I have NO idea. I spend a lot of time on my balcony watching the river and the moon, and this picture does look like one of my activities.

          Deep thought whilst staring moodily off into space and looking over a city.


However, in my saner moments, I know I'll be just fine because my purpose in going to college is a career related one, and not Felicity's


10 comments:

  1. Good for you. i am so glad you are continuing your education no matter the age. It is so special and you bring a wealth of experience and knowledge to the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be 3 years older whether I get my MA or not, eh? I'm really looking forward to it and was surprised that it caused any anxiety at all. That's what dreams are for, I guess. To tell us what we don't consciously know.

    I was surprised that TV "therapy" entered the picture though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just telling my hubster this morning about nurses wearing dresses and caps when I was young. Now it's hard to tell WHO is a nurse!!!
    ...Raine

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're the grumpy, stressed out ones. Heh.

    Actually, hospitals are starting to require certain colors for each kind of medical person to help patients tell us apart. It doesn't help, though. We're all wearing different colors, but no one ever tells the patients who wears teal and who wears aqua. As IF those are even different enough!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You could totally have a column in a magazine Rene! These posts are great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awww shucks. Of course, I'd have to stick with my original plan to use only my own photos. surely Felicity screen shots are public doman by now. Who even remembered her before I brought her up?

      Delete
  6. I hope you keep writing after 30 days. Can you still write your blog in grad school? LOL Maybe you can have a column in some publication about going back to school. Lots of writers start with a blog these days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, your writing style makes me smile :)

    Those nurse uniforms remind me of Kitty from That 70s Show, cos she wore them. I know I had relatives that were nurses that wore them too, I've seen in pictures here and there. I can't imagine being a nurse - I am such a wimp! If you could do that, you are strong enough to get through college stuff, no probs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Rene! How cool that both you and I are going back to school! It can be a very strange and wonderful mix of nerve-wracking and thrilling, all at the same time!

    I loved hearing your story about your dream. I think that when you describe yourself as being that baby that it reflects that you are getting in touch with the real you and your inner joy. To me, your dream suggests just how important this is for you and that you are wondering how it will all work out. I'd recommend taking baby steps! I'm sure it will all work out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know I'm not alone in going back to school! Well...actually....I knew that since there are women-of-a-certain-age in my class. AND a lot of younguns. But the MA I'm going for will send us all in wonderful directions, and hopefully I can make some local friends among like-minded people.

      Delete