Thursday, August 15, 2013

Day 15- Artist Date - while staying home!



I'm DETERMINED to write one today even though I have  a very small window of time between eating my 4PM breakfast, packing my 3 AM lunch and heading off to choir practice before going to work all night.

I decided to do an Artist's Date through my own photos and find what I love and what inspires me and the kinds of pictures I take over and over.

First...the sky from my deck 110 off the ground. I'm always yelling OOOOH! when the sun rises or sets or when there's a storm a-comin'. I wish the camera would take the colors I see, and I wish I could paint the colors I see without it looking like those paintings on velvet sold at flea markets in the South.

STAIRS! 
I take pictures of them all the time, and this one from my Chicago hostel makes me smile. I caught a youngun just sitting and reading on the stairs like I did when I was young. "Halfway up the stairs is a stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it...."

Old things made of carved wood! This is a door of a Serbian Orthodox church and they brought it over from the Old country, so no telling how old it is! Wait til you see what there is behind this door....


Everywhere you turn you see every inch covered like this. 




Old, beautiful buildings surrounded by newer ones of different eras. "Make new friends, but keep the old" I'm grateful to cities who do that .This is Chicago, but they do it here in St paul too.

Scuptures in coffee shops


The real thing- Was she cycling on the beach? Wish I'd seen that, but watching her heave her bike up like it was made of spun sugar was magnificent.

                                                       People amusing themselves!
This guy was playing football all by himself on the beach. Enlarge it and you see him shoving his glasses up his nose before the ball began its descent. Adorable! Or maybe....adorkable

                                     Architectural surprises, gargoyles old and new.



Tinkerbell makes a friendlier gargoyle, doncha think?

                                               
Fantastic store window art above. Now I want to make more paper cranes and put a plant in a head.
                                    THIS plant-in-a-head asked me for a KISS! I'm shocked.

                                                                  Happy children!
The one on the leftbroke into a dance for no reason at all
                                                                             And the one on the right was squealing outside the American Girl store, holding her Angelina Ballerina who seems to be just as excited.


Sitting next to a young artist who took the opportunity to sketch even though I was talking her ears off




                             sitting next to her mother, another Irene, and talking HER ears off



Life seen from a train - a Greek flag in the middle of nowhere

                                catching someone whose path we interrupted as we rumbled by.

The only art I did while on vacation for 2 weeks - TWO sketches. With ordinary pencil. (and HALF my suitcase was full of art supplies! Next time I take this tiny sketchbook and ordinary pencils.

I was practicing hair and didnt' stress about the face, and out came a face like I've never drawn before. Hmmmm. Could it be I do better at art if I dont' stress?


duh











Last picture of my "Artist Date"

                                                               ME! Suitable for framing!


1 comment:

  1. I love this post so much! Chock full of goodies, I tells ya! What a cool idea to have an artist date with your photographs! I am super jealous and you have inspired me to remember to take more pictures! Fingers crossed, don't let me forget it... I love the architectural detail pictures especially, because that interests me too...I will have to take my camera with me to the 'historic' section of my itty bitty town...there's a building that's from (I'd guess) the 20's or 30's that has a name emblazoned on it ( a really common last name in this area) that's spelled incorrectly! It makes me ridiculously happy every time I see it! (I bet the people who commissioned it were NOT so very happy about it!) I do like the oddities... :) At any rate, I can't wait to read more of your posts! I'm putting you in my blogger feed so I don't miss out any more! <3

    ReplyDelete