Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Here's looking at YOU, kid!


Happy New Year 2013


I have begun an art journal and want to chronicle the process for awhile. This year I've signed up to learn a new technique twice a month, and pledged to do "a piece a week" in a facebook group, and a painting a day in another spot. So far, day one, I've fulfilled all three, but since I disappeared into the flow of painting for 4 hours, I fear that the painting-a-day promise won't be kept easily. I don't even feel like I'm done with this one, since there is still a lot of background to play with.

On the left side, I wrote a lot of sentences that my inner critic is constantly saying and then covered them up with heavy body white acrylic paint. Before I did, I rephrased every sentence and turned them into positive statements I'll incorporate later in the journal. This is part of the lesson plan, not my personal brilliant idea.

The rest of the lesson had to do with painting a full face portrait, something I've been doing in a different style than the style that appeared today. The teacher also was using watercolor pencils and crayons and all I have is acrylic paint. LOTS of acrylic paint. Somewhere I have a little kit of tiny tubes of watercolor, and somewhere I have watercolor markers, but I decided to use what I have until they turn up.

Above is her original appearance on paper. I liked the way she was staring off into the sky in a dreamy way, but I guess I needed to look directly into my own eyes. I think that's a good start to my journal and to my year. All is fresh and new, and I can't wait to see what I learn through art this year.
This is the second phase of her development. The first one was done with pencil and she was looking up and to the right (her right), but when I painted the eyes right on top of the sketch, she decided to look straight at me instead. This was supposed to be a representation of me, in some form, and oddly, the eyes are mine for sure.


 I didn't expect the hair to be so psychedelic and part of me still wants to paint it shades of brown with gold and red highlights, but it must be watery and flowing for a reason. I'm going to stick with it and let the painting speak to me.

Tomorrow I'll continue with the lesson and do the best I can with the materials I have. The teacher did a multicolor background and then slapped some dabs of white acrylic on top and rolled it out with something. I think I'll be using a crumpled paper towel to do the same thing. She also mentioned stamping, and I have NO idea where my never-used stamps are in this new apartment full o'boxes. I also don't have tissue paper for collage.

I'll come up with something. Or my muse will. Stay tuned.

Whoever She is, She started out on a small sketch pad. Why do they have to change so much when they're painted?






1 comment:

  1. I think maybe they just have more to say when they're painted! :) Nice job!

    ReplyDelete