Sunday, March 26, 2017

Still processing graduation


So this is me in the waiting room before we officially graduate along with hundreds of our "closest friends". I'm in a group of about 40 from our program, and many are crying. Me? I'm giddy with relief and accomplishment! But, as you can see, I'm also in a big "Now what?" space.

The very first time I graduated (from high school), I looked like this.


Wow! Was THAT girl clueless! Oh the many wrong turns and rescues that lie ahead of this girl! I didn't go in the direction I planned when this picture was taken.

                                                                   Not. At. All.

I would've been a physical therapist by now if I had stayed on the (2nd) path I had chosen. My first path was to get a degree in Anthropology, but my father told me that unless I was Margaret Mead, I could never make a a living with that degree. He was wrong, of course, there are many anthro graduates doing many things besides being famous, but I DO like the fact that he assumed I'd make a living and not just get married and stay home. (although I did stay home for 12 years with my kids. A luxury these days)

The next time I graduated was 5 confused years later. I sort of backed into nursing. To earn a living, doncha know.
And then....25 years after that (! ! !) I got my BA in....ANTHROPOLOGY!


Did I go "live topless with the natives", as my father described life as an anthropologist?
Nope. I just kept on raising kids and then working as a nurse again.

And by the way, Margaret kept her clothes on even when the natives didn't wear much.


Now, the closest I come to cultural anthropology work is working with patients of many nationalities, ethnicities and religions. I always find a way to connect with most of them, but the hospitals don't care about my BA, they want me to have a BSN. Focus on the BS, if you ask me.

So now, I'm the proud holder of a masters degree in Holistic Health Studies. I call it my degree in Hippie, since most of the course work covered the ideas I had lived and experimented with in my commune life.

Oh

Did I mention my time as a hippie? No pictures exist of that period. Thankfully.

Although that part of me shows up a LOT in my art.


So now what? 
I paint
I do SoulCollage®
I'm still a nurse. 

But I have credentials! 
RN
BA Anthropology
MA
Holistic Health

With all those buzzwords, maybe I can reshape my way of earning a living. 

Or maybe I can have time to do more art for myself and for the world. 



I am of two minds about that......



5 comments:

  1. Enjoyed. And enjoy your artwork.
    At least your father knew the possibilities in becoming an anthropologist ;) Little did I know 30 years after my degree I would be living on the other side of the Amazon from Claude Lévi-Strauss' work in Brazil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Jealous! I'm just doing my "field work" face to face with random patients.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bean, old friend! ❤️ Are you really going to start posting over here again? Your caringbridge may have developed a new audience for you. Looking forward to more of your writing if you’re up for it. xoxo Dob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed I will write here again! Writing that other blog was a bright part of my ordeal. Stay tuned!!

      Delete
  4. Rene, very happy to hop back onto this medium (i briefly started back up blogging in the thick of my mental spin-out). Have enjoyed thoroughly learning by you and loving you. Kol tuv, all good things

    ReplyDelete